Using state-of-the-art equipment, we have a wide-range of techniques available.
- Light Microscopy. High power, low power, measuring and macro inspection.
- Zeiss Merlin Field Emission – Scanning Electron Microscope (FE-SEM), fitted with SE, inlens AsB and EsB detectors, extremely high magnification and resolution (0.6 nm) with very low beam current.
- Energy Dispersive X-ray (EDX). Oxford Aztec fitted with 150 mm² X-MaxN detector
- Zeiss Sigma Field Emission – Scanning Electron Microscope (FE-SEM), fitted with SE, inlens and AsB detectors, extremely high magnification and resolution (1.4 nm) with very low beam current.
- Energy Dispersive X-ray (EDX). Oxford Aztec fitted with 80 mm² X-Max detector.
- Fourier Transform Infra-Red Spectroscopy (FT-IR). JASCO 6100 (micro and macro) with IRT 5000 FT-IR microscope.
- Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS)
- X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS)
- Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES)
- Ion Chromatography
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES)
- MCS Perfect Edge™ and Perfect Edge 3D™ processing enabling deformation free micro-sectioning. Click HERE to see the results of this technique applied to Thick Film Analysis.
- X-ray, Dage XiDat 6500 digital X-ray inspection
- System level electrical testing. Agilent oscilloscopes and meters to support failure analysis
- Component authenticity testing. Marking permanency, re-packing, die surface inspection (acid decap)
- Environmental testing. Votsch environmental chambers for heat, humidity, thermal cycling, thermal shock.
Through our network of trusted partners, we can also offer seamless access to a wide range of complimentary materials analysis techniques. Please ask if you have a specific requirement.
Microelectronics Micro-mechanical Testing. Our DAGE 4000 multi-tester and Instron 5542 universal tester provide a range of offer wire bond pull, lead pull, die shear, joint shear and range of other micro-mechanical test facilities.
Buehler micro-hardness tool fitted with Knoop indenter. When testing materials, indentation hardness correlates linearly with tensile stress.
Sample Preparation Suite
A critical stage in sample preparation for failure analysis or microstructural characterisation, micro-section preparation lies at the heart of our sample preparation facilities. Delicate, difficult, thin, hard or very soft materials and structures can all be handled with bespoke routines.
We have a full suite of sample preparation equipment from Buehler including precision saws, encapsulation systems, rotary grinding and polishing to broad ion beam processing. Our latest development of Perfect Edge™ and Perfect Edge 3D ™ processes provide the ability to prepare even the most challenging samples without deforming the sample. There is no mechanical contact with the sample using the Perfect Edge ™ technique which removes any ambiguity concerning whether sample defects found during analysis were originally there or caused by sample preparation. For more information, click HERE to download our Perfect Edge ™ Application Report showing the benefits of this technique applied to PCB’s.
Click HERE for a summary of MCS capabilities.